As the popularity of functional mushroom coffee and its perceived health benefits continues to rise, you may be scouring the internet trying to decide which brand is best. You may also feel unsure about where to begin when it comes to trying a specific product.
If you’re evaluating caffeinated mushroom coffee brands, you should first determine what result you’re trying to achieve. Are you looking for a coffee that has a specific taste? Or, are you in search of a coffee that has potential health benefits?
While taste and efficacy are two important factors to consider when deciding which mushroom coffee brand to choose, quality is another important factor, as it has the potential to impact every other consideration. So, when searching for a mushroom coffee brand that suits your needs, be sure to consider taste, quality, and efficacy. I’ll tell you how.
How to Evaluate Mushroom Coffee Brands
When evaluating mushroom coffee brands and their unique blends in regards to taste, quality, and efficacy, it’s important to know which functional mushrooms are incorporated in the coffee. Not all functional mushrooms taste the same, and not all of them are of the quality that delivers intended results.
If you’re a coffee-lover like me, you know that taste is important. The best mushroom coffee brand will have a product that allows you to take advantage of the benefits of adaptogenic, functional mushrooms without having to sacrifice taste.
A mushroom coffee blend that caters to flavor will include the right amount of functional mushrooms, ensuring the coffee isn’t too acidic or bitter. Rather, it should be rich, aromatic, and well-rounded.
The quality of mushroom products like coffee depend on the growing method, sourcing, and processing of the mushrooms themselves.
- Growing method: Depending on the mushroom, growth can take between 35 to 90 days, as there are several stages involved.A quality mushroom coffee will contain the nutrients from the mycelium and/or fruiting body for maximum nutritional potential.
- Sourcing: A brand’s sourcing is a critical component of evaluating the quality of functional mushroom brands. Functional mushrooms that are grown indoors and subjected to third party testing, and are carefully monitored throughout production can be more likely to ensure a quality, sustainable result.
- Processing: Quality mushroom coffee brands use the whole mushroom in powdered form, as opposed to just mushroom extract. For quality coffee, mushrooms should be carefully dehydrated and milled into a fine powder.
When properly grown, sourced, and processed, functional mushrooms can lead to quality mushroom coffee that also supports your body’s natural functions for immunity, cognition, and energy.
To offer health benefits that support immunity, cognition, and energy, mushroom coffee must be made from specific species of functional mushrooms. It’s important to research to make sure the mushroom coffee blend you choose has the right blend of functional mushrooms for your needs.
Here’s a breakdown of the types of functional mushrooms typically found in mushroom coffee blends and the associated health benefits of each:
- Reishi: An immune modulator that includes beta-glucans and offers adaptogenic properties for alleviating stress and supporting skin and hair brightening and hydration.‡
- Turkey Tail: An immune-supporting, mycelium-based functional mushroom that encourages energy and vitality.‡
- Lion’s Mane: A cognitive aid that supports protein building and promotes healthy nerve cell production.‡
- Cordyceps: Functional mushrooms that can stimulate energy, vitality, and healthy circulation.‡
- Chaga: May help the body fight free radicals and oxidative stress, support a healthy immune response, and even assist the body in naturally managing inflammation.‡
For efficacy, the mushroom coffee should contain an optimal dosage of functional mushrooms: 2,000 milligrams (or 2 grams) per serving.
Choose a Quality Mushroom Coffee Brand
Now that you know what to look for when evaluating mushroom coffee brands, you’re one step closer to reaping the benefits of functional mushroom coffee.
If you’re new to functional mushroom consumption, you should note that it could take your body up to three weeks to experience health benefits. It’s recommended that new users double the recommended dosage of 2 grams per day for the first three weeks as many supplements are bioreactive and it takes time for your body to assimilate.‡
When it comes to choosing a quality mushroom coffee brand, consider Om Mushroom. The brand offers products created from functional, whole food, organic mushrooms that have life-changing health benefits. Many other brands use mushroom extract that is added to coffee, whereas, Om Mushroom uses the whole mushroom to create their functional blends. The coffee beans are sought out by coffee connoisseurs and then functional mushrooms are taste-tested to find the right balance for a well-rounded taste.
Om Mushroom’s functional mushroom coffee is bold, not acidic, and aromatic. Plus, it contains the recommended dosage of 2,000 mg—unlike competitors', which might not taste as good while also not providing the potential benefits.
‡These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Functional mushroom products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.