There are many types of coffee that can provide you with your daily caffeine fix—Americano, Turkish coffee, cappuccino, espresso … the list goes on. In each of these types, the amount of caffeine can vary. The same is true for mushroom coffee. But, in addition to caffeine, mushroom coffee can be packed with a number of nutrients to support your body’s natural immune, cognitive, and energy functions.‡
If you’ve never heard of mushroom coffee, you likely have many questions. I’ll address those as well as provide you tips on how to customize caffeine in mushroom coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions About Caffeine in Mushroom Coffee
Mushroom coffee can be made using a variety of functional mushrooms. Not all functional mushroom species are associated with energy support; some species have been used for stress-relief, for example. Here, I’ve listed a few of the most frequently asked questions regarding mushroom coffee.
How Much Caffeine Is in Mushroom Coffee?
If you drink coffee for its effects, this is probably your first question. Different brands and blends of mushroom coffee contain varying levels of caffeine. For instance:
- Om’s Mushroom Coffee Blend has 120 milligrams of caffeine per 8 oz. serving.
- Om’s Mushroom Coffee Latte Blend has 116 milligrams of caffeine per 8 oz. serving.
Is Mushroom Coffee Caffeine Higher Than Regular Coffee?
Mushroom coffee caffeine content is not so different when compared to a typical cup of joe. The average 8 oz. cup of coffee contains about 80–100 milligrams of caffeine, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How Much Mushroom Coffee Can I Drink Per Day?
The FDA has cited 400 milligrams as a generally safe level of daily caffeine consumption for most people, not associated with adverse health effects. Depending on the brand or blend, around three cups of mushroom coffee per day will equate to a little less than the FDA’s recommendation.
It’s important to note that caffeine is a stimulant. The FDA’s safe level of consumption recommendation may vary for pregnant or nursing mothers, children and adolescents, and people taking certain types of medications. If you have any concerns, it’s best to consult with your doctor.
Is Mushroom Coffee Healthier Than Regular Coffee?
Coffee itself provides a number of possible advantages. Naturally, most people drink coffee because it can help them feel less tired and more energetic due to the caffeine. This natural stimulant blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine and increases norepinephrine and dopamine, which enhance the firing of neurons and produce a feeling of temporary euphoria. Numerous controlled studies link coffee to improved memory, mood, energy levels, reaction times, and mental functioning.
Depending on the species of mushroom within the coffee, there may be proteins and nutrients present that aren’t in a regular cup of coffee. Each serving of Om Mushroom Coffee contains 2,000 mg of functional mushroom to provide you with the diverse nutritional benefits of a blended-species mushroom powder supplement. Another convenient option is to add functional mushroom powder to your normal cup of coffee. In this case, the benefits of single-species functional mushroom coffee can include the following:
- Energy support: Cordyceps, in particular, have an impact on the metabolic process and can be a natural source of energy.‡
- Immune support: The array of beta-glucans found in functional mushroom species support immune health.‡
- Vitality: Cordyceps is known for its ability to improve vitality as it naturally supports respiration, oxygen delivery, and ATP synthesis.‡
- Endurance: Cordyceps also naturally improves endurance by supporting healthy respiration and circulation.‡
- Encouraged cellular, lymphatic, and systemic functional support: Cordyceps also has qualities that aid in its ability to increase circulation.‡
- Nutrition: Functional mushroom coffee that includes beta-glucans and other polysaccharides, polyphenols, prebiotic non-soluble fiber, and digestive enzymes helps to support overall health and wellness.‡
- Cognitive health support: Lion’s Mane, in particular, has been found to stimulate the synthesis of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), a protein that promotes the growth and normal function of nerve cells. NGF is important for memory, concentration, and neurological support.‡
What Does Mushroom Coffee Taste Like?
Mushroom coffee tastes much like regular coffee. Some have described mushroom coffee as having a subtle hint of “earthiness” or “nuttiness,” but many mushroom species are fairly mild in flavor, not being strong enough to overtake the flavor of coffee beans. Om Mushroom Coffee is expertly crafted with premium single origin 100% Arabica bean coffee, sustainably grown from Papua New Guinea with bold chocolatey notes and a rich full bodied taste.
What Does Science Say About Mushroom Coffee?
Research has long supported the potential benefits of including functional mushrooms as part of a healthy daily diet.
- Balance: Adaptogenic mushrooms play a supportive role in the body's natural adaptation. They offer potential health benefits that support the body’s natural functions for immunity, stress reduction, and hormonal balance.‡
- Protection: Functional mushroom species such as chaga, reishi, lion’s mane, and cordyceps contain higher amounts of antioxidants than acai, blueberries, and cacao and may help protect your body’s cells against free radicals.‡
- Immune support: A report in the Journal of Nutrition noted: “Preliminary evidence suggests that mushrooms may support healthy immune...responses through interaction with the gut microbiota, enhancing development of adaptive immunity, and improved immune cell functionality.”‡
You can expect there will be more research on functional mushroom coffee, as it's a fast-growing hot beverage category. In the meantime, I encourage you to test the benefits of mushroom coffee on your own, customizing the caffeine content as you desire.
Tips for Customizing Mushroom Coffee Caffeine
While Om Mushroom offers two different types of coffee blends for your consideration, you may opt to customize your own caffeine consumption using mushroom powder in the following ways:
- Add the recommended daily serving of 2 grams of single-species mushroom powder to any cup of coffee. Om’s Lion’s Mane Mushroom Powder is a popular species to add to your favorite cup because of its cognitive support.‡
- Minimize your caffeine consumption by adding mushroom powder to decaf or half-caff coffee.
- Increase your caffeine consumption by adding an espresso shot to your mushroom coffee blend.
In addition to coffee, there are a variety of other ways to take advantage of the benefits of functional mushrooms, such as adding single-species or blended mushroom powder to smoothies, teas, and recipes.
Om Mushroom offers mushroom coffee and other products created from functional, whole food, organic mushrooms that have life-changing health benefits. Each product contains the recommended functional mushroom dosage to enhance your body’s natural functions.
‡These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Functional mushroom products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.