So, you are looking for a lion’s mane supplement. That puts you in the company of the 77% of American adults who use a daily dietary supplement and one of the 50% of those who opt for an herbal or botanical. Though, strictly speaking, Hericium erinaceus is a mushroom, not an herb or a plant product, it is classed among the living things that provide nutritional and medicinal support.
You may already know that lion’s mane is considered a nootropic, a natural substance that provides support for the brain and nervous system through its bioactive compounds. You may also be aware that its terpenoids, hericenones from the fruiting body and erinacines from the mycelium, have demonstrated the capacity to cross the blood-brain barrier and provide a neuroprotective effect. For this reason and because lion’s mane’s rich myconutrients are distributed across its component parts, researchers recommend consuming products containing the whole mushroom.
Though lion’s mane mushrooms are relatively high in protein and soluble fiber, and may taste a bit like lobster when properly cooked, it’s not easy to find them in their fresh form. A lion’s mane mushroom supplement is the more convenient and sustainable way to add the benefits of this functional mushroom to your daily health routine. But in the debate of lion's mane capsules vs. powder, which format is right for you? Here are a few considerations that may help you decide.
Differentiating Mushroom Powder Blends
Deciding to make lion’s mane a part of your daily health and wellness routine is a proactive move, one that may support both cognitive function and mood.‡ The use of functional mushrooms, in general, is becoming more mainstream as their long-standing history in traditional medicine continues to come to light. Their anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties make these superfood mushrooms a beneficial addition to anyone’s day.
A variety of mushroom supplement products are available in different formats. Functional mushroom powders are common, but even these have major differences. Some companies extract specific substances from the fruit body or mycelium of their mushroom species in water or alcohol. They then spray the liquid and dry it to create a powder. Their powders often contain an extraction of the targeted bioactive ingredient.
Om Mushrooms, on the other hand, cultivates and harvests the whole mushroom of select species, including the fruit body or primordia (baby fruit body) and myceliated biomass (mycelium, extracellular compounds, and myceliated substrate). All of these component parts are dried and milled to a fine powder to provide Om customers all the benefits of the whole lion’s mane mushroom. This high-quality, nutrient and bioactive ingredient-rich powder is available as a loose powder or packed into easy-to-swallow capsules, providing multiple options for customers.
Lion’s Mane Capsules vs. Powder: How They Stack Up
With the same superfood powder available as a loose powder or powder-filled capsules, you may be wondering which lion’s mane product is right for you. Each single serving contains 2 g (2000 mg) of organic lion’s mane, including mycelial biomass and the fruit body. Let’s look at how the features of lion’s mane capsules vs. powder stack up.
Lion’s Mane Capsules
Om Lion’s Mane Organic Mushroom Powder is available in serving sizes of 30 and 60 cellulose capsules. Each serving of three capsules contains 2 g (2000 mg) of lion’s mane powder. These are some things to consider regarding the capsule format:
- For ease, convenience, and flexibility, capsules score high marks. Three premeasured capsules provide the single recommended daily serving of this functional superfood.
- If you desire the benefits of lion’s mane’s bioactive ingredients but are not sure about the taste, capsules provide an option that helps to overcome taste concerns. Swallowing the flavorless capsules with your favorite beverage is a quick and easy way to incorporate lion’s mane into your day.
- The compact size of capsules makes them an attractive format to take on the go. Packing the small three capsule serving size of lion’s mane powder into a briefcase, backpack, or suitcase is preferable to squeezing in a container of bulk powder when space is tight.
- The ease and convenience of mushroom powder capsules make them a bit more expensive per serving than bulk powder due to the additional processing required.
- The capsule format may not be preferable for people who do not like to swallow pills.
If the convenience of capsules appeals to you, but you have trouble swallowing pills, try the equivalent serving in powdered form. Lion’s mane mushroom powder can be stirred into your favorite beverage, soup, or smoothie.
Lion’s Mane Powder
Om Lion’s Mane Organic Mushroom Powder is sold as a loose powder in serving sizes of 50, 100, and 250. One teaspoon contains 2 g (2000 mg) of whole mushroom lion’s mane powder. Here are a few things to consider regarding the bulk powder:
- Mushroom powder lends itself to a variety of creative opportunities. Bulk mushroom powder is easily added to recipes, including appetizers, meatloaf, pizza, and even desserts.
- Bulk powders are more cost-effective, amounting to a small investment in the daily inclusion of this superfood mushroom.
- With just a teaspoon required daily to obtain the benefits of this mushroom species, lion’s mane powder is a versatile option. The bulk powder comes in a resealable pouch (50 servings) or a plastic tub with a screw-on lid (100 and 250 servings) providing a convenient and secure method of storage.
- If you are new to a mushroom powder supplement, you may not know how to use it at first. Don’t let this factor hold you back, however, as mushroom powder can be mixed into almost any recipe.
- If mushroom powder is an unfamiliar taste, you may be reluctant to try the bulk powder form.
- Bulk powder must be measured to ensure you are getting the recommended daily serving of one teaspoonful. Some people might find the mixing process a bit messy.
A battery-operated milk frother is a handy tool for mixing loose powder into hot and cold drinks. This mixing tool quickly blends your bulk mushroom powder into a smooth solution.
Which Lion’s Mane Product is Right for You?
In the choice between Om’s lion’s mane capsules vs. powders, it really comes down to an individual decision. Ultimately, adding up the pros and cons of our different lion’s mane product formats may help you to choose the best option for you. In either case, you are getting a gluten-free, vegan mushroom powder that is kosher, non-GMO verified, and suitable for inclusion in a paleo or keto diet. And, all of our products are produced according to the most current Good Manufacturing Practice standards set by the FDA.
Of course, to cover all your bases, why not get one of each? Om’s bulk powder is cost-effective and handy to have when cooking up recipes, while our mushroom powder capsules travel well and give you the recommended daily serving even when there is no time to whip up a lion’s mane coffee or smoothie. Having both on hand gives you flexibility and convenience. The important factor is making lion’s mane mushroom powder a part of your daily routine, since its neurotrophic factors and bioactive compounds are most supportive in the long term. Both forms provide you a convenient serving of this functional mushroom superfood.
When it comes to a decision between lion’s mane capsules vs. powder, Om Mushroom offers varying sizes of both products created from functional, whole food, organic mushrooms. We control the cultivation and production process from start to finish to ensure all our products are pure and high-quality.SHOP OUR PRODUCTS
‡These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Functional mushroom products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.